Bug 13746

Summary: [GM965] Cannot set to SDL 800x600 Fullscreen from 1024x768 screen
Product: xorg Reporter: Richard Goedeken <SirRichard>
Component: Driver/intelAssignee: Wang Zhenyu <zhenyu.z.wang>
Status: RESOLVED NOTOURBUG QA Contact: Xorg Project Team <xorg-team>
Severity: normal    
Priority: medium    
Version: git   
Hardware: x86-64 (AMD64)   
OS: Linux (All)   
Whiteboard:
i915 platform: i915 features:
Attachments:
Description Flags
sdltest.c none

Description Richard Goedeken 2007-12-19 17:39:02 UTC
- System: AOpen MiniPC MP965-DR
 - CPU/RAM: Core 2 duo T7500, 2GB ram
 - OS: Fedora 8
 - X server: xorg 1.4.99.1-0.10.fc9
 - intel_drv.so: built from git checkout 12/09
 - mesa/drm drivers: built from git checkout 12/09
 - system outputs: VGA, TMDS-1, LVDS, TV
 - TV: 32" Sony WEGA, NTSC 480i only

To reproduce this bug, compile the attached test program and do the following:

1. Boot MiniPC with only the TV attached.
2. Run 'xrandr --output TV --mode 1024x768'
3. Run './sdltest 800 600'

Expected behavior: switch to 800x600 fullscreen mode and display pattern.
Actual behavior: Screen stays in 1024x768 mode, the upper-left 800x600 rectangle displays the pattern, and the border on the right and bottom show remnants of the desktop. After test program finishes, display returns to normal 1024x768 desktop.

Notes: this bug only occurs in 1024x768 mode.  For example, switching to 640x480 from 800x600 works.
Comment 1 Richard Goedeken 2007-12-19 17:39:52 UTC
Created attachment 13243 [details]
sdltest.c

To compile this program, run:

gcc -o sdltest `sdl-config --cflags --libs` sdltest.c
Comment 2 Gordon Jin 2007-12-19 23:38:56 UTC
also assigned to Keith, as it's related to #13643.
Comment 3 Richard Goedeken 2007-12-20 04:56:45 UTC
I tested this morning and found that this bug occurs in both TV-only and
VGA-only configurations; apparently it is not dependent on the output type.
Comment 4 Richard Goedeken 2008-02-19 20:09:20 UTC
After further testing, I concluded that this bug is not specific to the Intel video drivers.  I searched through the SDL bugzilla and mailing lists and found references to problems with SDL+XRANDR going back to 2003.  I am able to work around this problem by setting an undocumented environment variable: SDL_VIDEO_X11_XRANDR=1.

Use of freedesktop.org services, including Bugzilla, is subject to our Code of Conduct. How we collect and use information is described in our Privacy Policy.