|Summary:||OpenGL applications warns "MESA-LOADER: failed to retrieve device information"|
|Product:||DRI||Reporter:||Mingcong Bai <jeffbai>|
|Component:||libdrm||Assignee:||Default DRI bug account <dri-devel>|
|Status:||RESOLVED FIXED||QA Contact:|
|i915 platform:||i915 features:|
Description Mingcong Bai 2016-11-07 19:36:07 UTC
After updating to Mesa 13.0.0 on my PowerMac G5 with NVIDIA GeForce 6600LE, OpenGL applications outputs errors like: MESA-LOADER: failed to retrieve device information MESA-LOADER: failed to retrieve device information MESA-LOADER: failed to retrieve device information ... upon launch. The program worked without issue despite the warning. However, I did not get such warning from Mesa 12.0.3, is this something worth looking into?
Comment 1 Emil Velikov 2016-11-08 15:44:23 UTC
[Moving to 'core' since it's not really nouveau specific] Does this happen with glxinfo/glxgears as well ? If so can you attach the output of $strace glxinfo If glxinfo works fine, while $program does not, attach the output of $DL_DEBUG=libs $program Thanks
Comment 2 Mingcong Bai 2016-11-08 23:54:35 UTC
Created attachment 127852 [details] strace of glxinfo
Comment 3 Mingcong Bai 2016-11-08 23:55:15 UTC
(In reply to Emil Velikov from comment #1) > [Moving to 'core' since it's not really nouveau specific] > > Does this happen with glxinfo/glxgears as well ? If so can you attach the > output of $strace glxinfo > > If glxinfo works fine, while $program does not, attach the output of > $DL_DEBUG=libs $program > > Thanks glxinfo and glxgears... and basically everything provided by mesa-demos have the same issue.
Comment 4 Emil Velikov 2016-11-09 18:29:28 UTC
Thanks. What's the output of $cat /sys/dev/char/226:0/device/uevent
Comment 5 Mingcong Bai 2016-11-09 18:50:11 UTC
Created attachment 127869 [details] output of `cat /sys/dev/char/226:0/device/uevent` Here you are.
Comment 6 Emil Velikov 2016-11-15 11:23:07 UTC
Fixed with the following commit, which is part of libdrm 2.4.73. Thanks for the report and testing ! commit f53d3542c1dfa2a1c1a5a7155d058df9a6bcce7b Author: Emil Velikov <firstname.lastname@example.org> Date: Fri Nov 11 19:04:11 2016 +0000 xd86drm: read more than 128 bytes of uevent in drmParsePciBusInfo
Comment 7 Brian Paul 2017-03-27 15:03:43 UTC
Hi Emil, I'm still seeing this issue "MESA-LOADER: failed to retrieve device information" on Fedora 25 when I test our VMware driver. It's failing for me in drmGetDevice2() at line 3791: if (maj != DRM_MAJOR || !S_ISCHR(sbuf.st_mode)) return -EINVAL; The value of maj is 245 but the expected DRM_MAJOR is 226. $ ls -l /dev/dri* crw-rw----+ 1 root video 245, 0 Mar 23 09:39 /dev/dri/card0 crw-------. 1 root video 245, 64 Mar 23 09:32 /dev/dri/controlD64 crw-rw----+ 1 root video 245, 128 Mar 23 09:32 /dev/dri/renderD128 I don't know where the 245 major device number is coming from. If I disable the maj != DRM_MAJOR tests, I don't see the error msg and things run fine. On Ubuntu, the dri device files have major number is the expected 226 which corresponds to the value of DRM_MAJOR as defined in vmwgfx's drmP.h file so I don't see the error msg.
Comment 8 Emil Velikov 2017-03-28 12:05:01 UTC
Hi Brian, The define is coming from the kernel's drmP.h. Perhaps we should have explicitly made it part of the public API/ABI, but that won't help here. In upstream the major is set in drm_core_init()'s register_chrdev(DRM_MAJOR...). After a couple of "???" moments I clicked that you're likely having a problem with the standalone repo . In there VMWGFX_STANDALONE is set, thus the upstream code path is not hit. You guys are using drm_chr_dev [see vmwgfx_chrdev_reg()], and where AFAICT MAJOR is not initialised. Would be great if you can fix things on your end, but I won't object against a workaround in libdrm.  https://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/vmwgfx/
Comment 9 Emil Velikov 2017-04-12 19:08:18 UTC
Seems like I forgot to mention - drm_chr_dev() itself picks the first unused major. So it's not like it's uninitialised, but rather random and non-deterministic.
Comment 10 Joachim Frieben 2017-04-22 09:35:56 UTC
For current Fedora 25 plus testing updates, I do still get this error message when using VirGL in a virtual machine: $ glxgears libGL error: MESA-LOADER: failed to retrieve device information MESA-LOADER: failed to retrieve device information MESA-LOADER: failed to retrieve device information Running synchronized to the vertical refresh. The framerate should be approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate. Installed packages include: kernel-4.10.11-200.fc25 libdrm-2.4.79-1.fc25 mesa-13.0.4-3.fc25 Furthermore, permissions for /dev/libdri* read: $ ls -l /dev/dri* total 0 crw-rw----+ 1 root video 226, 0 Apr 22 11:27 card0 crw-rw----+ 1 root video 226, 128 Apr 22 11:24 renderD128
Comment 11 Emil Velikov 2017-04-24 10:15:53 UTC
Joachim doing the "me too" trick, does not help much ;-( Please add a few debugging printfs within drmGetDevices2 function and attach that within a separate bug report. Brian, please try and fix this in mesa/vmwgfx. Alternatively do send a clearly documented patch that relaxes the DRM_MAJOR restriction. I'm closing this as the original issue was fixed with f53d3542c1dfa2a1c1a5a7155d058df9a6bcce7b which is part for libdrm 2.4.73.