Bug 18674 - pkcon doesn't use translations at all
Summary: pkcon doesn't use translations at all
Status: RESOLVED FIXED
Alias: None
Product: PackageKit
Classification: Unclassified
Component: client-library (show other bugs)
Version: unspecified
Hardware: Other All
: medium normal
Assignee: Richard Hughes
QA Contact:
URL:
Whiteboard:
Keywords:
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2008-11-23 03:35 UTC by Ville-Pekka Vainio
Modified: 2008-11-23 09:21 UTC (History)
0 users

See Also:
i915 platform:
i915 features:


Attachments
fixes issue for me (3.41 KB, patch)
2008-11-23 09:21 UTC, Richard Hughes
Details | Splinter Review

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Ville-Pekka Vainio 2008-11-23 03:35:54 UTC
I noticed pkcon doesn't use its translations at all. I have translated packagekit's fi.po completely, but pkcon doesn't display any of the messages in Finnish on a system with the Finnish locale set.

I haven't looked at the code yet at all (I won't have time to in the next few days) but by doing strace it seems pkcon never even reads anything from /usr/share/locale/*/LC_MESSAGES/


An example:

$ pkcon install foo
Command failed:  The package 'foo' could not be installed: The package could not be found

Should be translated but is not.

$ strace pkcon install foo 2>&1|grep LC_MESSAGES

Returns nothing.


But if we look at gnome-packagekit:

strace gpk-log 2>&1|grep LC_MESSAGES

Returns multiple lines, one of which is 

open("/usr/share/locale/fi/LC_MESSAGES/gnome-packagekit.mo", O_RDONLY) = 3

This is how it should work in pkcon too.
Comment 1 Richard Hughes 2008-11-23 09:21:07 UTC
Created attachment 20523 [details] [review]
fixes issue for me

I've applied this fix, which fixes the problem for me -- thanks for reporting.


Use of freedesktop.org services, including Bugzilla, is subject to our Code of Conduct. How we collect and use information is described in our Privacy Policy.