I was told by the Empathy devs that this was a telepathy-gabble bug. You can see the original bug filed against empathy at http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=563131.
Please describe the problem:
I tried calling my brother (on a Mac) who has the Gmail voice/video plugin
installed using Empathy (and telepathy-gabble) on my end. It hangs at connecting.
Steps to reproduce:
1. Call person who uses Gmail and the voice/video plugin that Google provides
2. Person picks up
Empathy hangs at "connecting"
Empathy would pick it up
Does this happen every time?
Which version of telepathy-gabble are you using?
Gabble and stream-engine log are needed to help us to understand the problem. See http://live.gnome.org/Empathy/Debugging about how to get those logs.
Created attachment 20781 [details]
I am using Intrepid, so that would be 0.7.8.
Here's the log. I think I got all the directions down, not 100% sure.
As I said on the Empathy bug report, you need telepathy-gabble 0.7.16 for google web client compat.
As you are using Intrepid, you can find it on our PPA:
Oh, sorry. I thought 0.7.16 = 0.7.1.6. :-P.
Could you try with latest version and let us know if that works for you?
This time, it connects, and then immediately hangs up (Gmail reports that Empathy immediately ended the call). Here's the pastebin from Empathy:
Please post telepathy-gabble and telepathy-sofiasip logs. Empathy's ones are not very useful in that case.
I just tried to call a google web client and audio wasn't working.
oh, I was using Gabble master for my test.
(In reply to comment #7)
> This time, it connects, and then immediately hangs up (Gmail reports that
> Empathy immediately ended the call). Here's the pastebin from Empathy:
The component that does the actual connecting to the GTalk server is
telepathy-gabble, so we would need its debugging logs to figure out
what's happening. If possible, please provide gabble log, with
GABBLE_DEBUG=all and LM_DEBUG=net environment variables set. The
howto for debugging Telepathy components is at:
(In reply to comment #9)
> I just tried to call a google web client and audio wasn't working.
Gabble log indicates that session was successfully initiated and accepted,
and SE log shows the media is connected:
** (telepathy-stream-engine:28896): DEBUG: stream 1 (audio) cb_fs_state_changed: stream 0x8140910, state: connected, direction: both
So, from this it would seem that the call goes through. Can you describe
what you mean exactly by "audio wasn't working"? There was no sound, or
was the call ended immediately (which is the original bug report)?
OK, now it hangs at "ringing". Here's the telepathy-gabble log. http://pastebin.com/m7e5c1156
Andrew, some buggy webcam drivers hang under certain conditions. If you have a webcam, try disconnecting it or unloading the driver kernel module (in my case, uvcvideo).
With the latest versions of the PPA packages, I can establish an audio call, but the person on the other end (using the google web client) can't hear me. It doesn't appear to be a local problem - sip echo tests work well.
(In reply to comment #13)
> Andrew, some buggy webcam drivers hang under certain conditions. If you have a
> webcam, try disconnecting it or unloading the driver kernel module (in my case,
I had similar problem, call was getting disconnected as soon as it was answered. i had to install Gstreamer plugin for ALSA and it started working.
OK, I rmmoded all the webcam drivers I could think of. Nothing. GStreamer-alsa is installed.
I tried the latest Ubuntu jaunty packages (telepathy-gabble_0.7.22) and I can't do a voice call with Gmail chat users.
I tried the latest Ubuntu karmic packages (telepathy-gabble_0.7.31) and now I _can_ do a voice call with Gmail chat users.
Thanks for the bug and confiming the fix!