Since I updated mesa-related packages (Arch Linux) some days ago I had a black screen (with mouse cursor) after login (via KDM) into KDE. I use a Intel 855GM graphics (driver: SNA compiled from 2.99.911-114-g94e3932 OR xf86-video-intel 2.99.912).
Some of my observations with KDE 4.13.2:
* black screen (after login with KDM) or parts/areas - see attached screenshots. Mouse cursor is always correct.
* alt+f2 (krunner) brings the desktop content back but only until a program is started (then parts get black again)
* Starting programs partly removes black areas. E.g. Ctrl+Esc brings up the process viewer, but only with partly non-black window decoration.
* the log-off menu does not appear (only the screen dims as expected) after right clicking the desktop → log-off.
* it only happens with active "desktop effects" (transparency, shadows, ...). Switching those off in KDE instantanously removes the rendering problem.
No issues observed in Openbox or TWM (well, those have no tranparency and so on).
Workaround - Downgrade those packages:
> [2014-06-11 02:57] [PACMAN] downgraded mesa (10.2.1-1 -> 10.1.4-1)
> [2014-06-11 02:57] [PACMAN] downgraded mesa-libgl (10.2.1-1 -> 10.1.4-1)
> [2014-06-11 02:57] [PACMAN] downgraded intel-dri (10.2.1-1 -> 10.1.4-1)
A previous discussion / report was at [KDE desktop black after upgrade of mesa and intel-dri](https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=182699).
I know of [X segfault after Mesa upgrade](https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/40781?project=1&cat=2&string=mesa) but I guess I see something different since I have no segfaults.
I could run a version from git or do a bisect if this is needed. In this case: mention the git source.
Created attachment 101125 [details]
screenshot: a program window with black areas
Created attachment 101127 [details]
screenshot: more black areas. Green is edited out for privacy reasons
hi.i have similar but harmless here.
i see a black screen with movable cursor about 10-15 seconds before kde desktop.
its make a retard to meet kde.
mesa:10.2.1 kde:4.13.2 system: archlinux-64
device: 8086:0166 (ivybridge GT2 mobil)
Note:i have no idea that the issue mesa related or kde related
(In reply to comment #3)
> hi.i have similar but harmless here.
@luigi: Ivybridge is a totally different GPU than 855GM. Please file a separate bug.
With the new mesa version the problem seems to not appear any more:
* mesa 10.2.2-1
* mesa-libgl 10.2.2-1
* intel-dri 10.2.2-1
and (same as before) xf86-video-intel 2.99.912-1.
Thank you, devs!