I have setup an Xdmx X display, but gtk applications fail to display any text, so I get mostly empty windows. firefox and chromium do manage to render text though.
I have found http://blog.sumostyle.net/2008/10/xdmx-rendering-issues-gtk-qt-and-others/ and thus tried -norender, it indeed fixes displaying text in the gtk applications. As expected, some graphical operations become sluggish. The quickfix patch proposed there doesn't fix anything for me, but I guess that patch was related to https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7555 which was fixed a long time ago.
Also, notably, even with the -norender option, gedit fails to start:
(gedit:5359): Gdk-ERROR **: The program 'gedit' received an X Window System error.
This probably reflects a bug in the program.
The error was 'BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)'.
(Details: serial 139 error_code 11 request_code 78 (core protocol) minor_code 0)
(Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
To debug your program, run it with the GDK_SYNCHRONIZE environment
variable to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)
zsh: trace trap gedit
Created attachment 106036 [details]
Intel X display configuration
Created attachment 106038 [details]
Nvidia display configuration
Created attachment 106039 [details]
Intel display X log
Created attachment 106041 [details]
Xdmx session log
What is noticeable in this log is the dmxErrorHandler errors. They happen exactly when I start gnome-terminal.
(I had previously attached an nvidia config, but forget about it, the same happens with just the intel display alone in the Xdmx config).
-- GitLab Migration Automatic Message --
This bug has been migrated to freedesktop.org's GitLab instance and has been closed from further activity.
You can subscribe and participate further through the new bug through this link to our GitLab instance: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/xserver/issues/109.