On Xservers missing the XRender extensions fonts were not displayed correctly.
First noticed it with gtk+ linked against cairo but I proved it with a simple
native cairo example (see URL). I explicitly tested with the same libs because I
first suspected freetype to be the cause. Images looks like some mask is displaced.
Tested it with Cairo 1.2.x and 1.3.4. Cairo 1.0.4 works using the same
Used Solaris 8 and 9 for testing.
Please see hardcopies at http://mrtg.net.hrz.tu-darmstadt.de/liebe/cairo/
I've tested with cairo-1.3.6, too. No changes.
But I found out, that the problem only occurs when I set font smoothing to
subpixel (LCD)/CAIRO_ANTIALIAS_SUBPIXEL. It works fine with both Grayscale and None.
I can no longer check the external link to confirm this bug - but the bug sounds quite insidious and I expect the behaviour to have changed with the oft-modified code in cairo-ft-font.c