Bug 103976 - Regression: Videogame (Wakfu) no longer works with Mesa 17.2 (17.1 works)
Summary: Regression: Videogame (Wakfu) no longer works with Mesa 17.2 (17.1 works)
Status: RESOLVED DUPLICATE of bug 103078
Alias: None
Product: Mesa
Classification: Unclassified
Component: Drivers/Gallium/r600 (show other bugs)
Version: 17.2
Hardware: x86-64 (AMD64) Linux (All)
: high major
Assignee: Default DRI bug account
QA Contact: Default DRI bug account
URL:
Whiteboard:
Keywords:
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2017-11-29 20:20 UTC by Azari
Modified: 2018-01-12 22:08 UTC (History)
1 user (show)

See Also:
i915 platform:
i915 features:


Attachments
Revert Mesa commit 92b4ca45504e7ffc5f4fa385ada1be48e6123181 (1.22 KB, patch)
2017-12-31 14:00 UTC, Azari
Details | Splinter Review

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Azari 2017-11-29 20:20:09 UTC
A game I play called Wakfu no longer loads at all with Mesa 17.2 while it worked fine with 17.1

https://www.wakfu.com/en/mmorpg

It's free and there is no need to sign up in order to test it.

The problem occurs when clicking "Play" on the launcher, the game window is supposed to launch, and instead you either get a crash notice in the launcher, or you may get the game window but it will instantly lock up and not load the game, it will just remain blank.

(the different behavior regarding crash or lockup seems to depend on whether you have LLVM 5 or 4 installed, but it's broken either way when moving to Mesa 17.2)

I've reproduced this on two systems, one with a Radeon HD 4850, and one with a Radeon HD 6950 (the former is an Intel i7 machine and the latter an AMD FX machine).

I don't have the ability to test it on other drivers, but it's possible it occurs on radeonsi too or even other vendor GPUs; it's worth testing even if you don't have r600 I think, since it may affect all cards.
Comment 1 Azari 2017-12-31 14:00:23 UTC
Created attachment 136459 [details] [review]
Revert Mesa commit 92b4ca45504e7ffc5f4fa385ada1be48e6123181

I bisected and tracked this down to the following commit: 
https://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/commit/?id=92b4ca45504e7ffc5f4fa385ada1be48e6123181

"remove the 'Gallium 0.4 on' prefix from GL_RENDERER"

It looks like the game or one of the game's libraries (jogl?) are checking for gallium in the renderer string. Based on the nature of this patch and tone of the commit message, I guess I shouldn't be very optimistic about this being reverted.

I found that MATLAB and Scilab appear to suffer from the same issue though, these have been filed as bug 103078.

I reverted the commit and made a patch for myself to use until a better workaround/solution appears, I'm attaching it here in the hope that others running into this problem find it useful.

I imagine more people will run into this as more distributions upgrade to 17.2 (especially when LTS versions start upgrading).

It would be nice if there was at least a better workaround, like the ability to override the renderer string with an env var or through drirc
Comment 2 Timo Aaltonen 2018-01-12 22:08:55 UTC

*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of bug 103078 ***


Use of freedesktop.org services, including Bugzilla, is subject to our Code of Conduct. How we collect and use information is described in our Privacy Policy.