On Manjaro linux I upgraded mesa and after restarting saw severe glitching:
Qt apps did not appear to have this problem, Chrome was fine too. I downgraded mesa after which everything settled down.
H/W path Device Class Description
system Galago Pro (Not Applicable)
/0 bus Galago Pro
/0/0 memory 64KiB BIOS
/0/13 memory 16GiB System Memory
/0/13/0 memory 8GiB SODIMM DDR4 Synchronous 2133 MHz (0.5 ns)
/0/13/1 memory 8GiB SODIMM DDR4 Synchronous 2133 MHz (0.5 ns)
/0/17 memory 128KiB L1 cache
/0/18 memory 512KiB L2 cache
/0/19 memory 3MiB L3 cache
/0/1a processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz
/0/100 bridge Xeon E3-1200 v6/7th Gen Core Processor Host Bridge/DRAM Registers
/0/100/2 display HD Graphics 620
/0/100/8 generic Xeon E3-1200 v5/v6 / E3-1500 v5 / 6th/7th Gen Core Processor Gaus
/0/100/14 bus Sunrise Point-LP USB 3.0 xHCI Controller
/0/100/14/0 usb1 bus xHCI Host Controller
/0/100/14/0/1 bus USB2.0 Hub
/0/100/14/0/1/1 multimedia C922 Pro Stream Webcam
/0/100/14/0/1/3 bus Hub
/0/100/14/0/1/3/1 bus USB2.0 Hub
/0/100/14/0/1/3/1/2 input USB Receiver
/0/100/14/0/1/3/1/3 multimedia USB Audio Device
/0/100/14/0/1/4 input USB-HID Gaming Keyboard
/0/100/14/0/4 multimedia BisonCam,NB Pro
/0/100/14/0/5 communication Bluetooth wireless interface
/0/100/14/1 usb2 bus xHCI Host Controller
/0/100/14/1/1 bus USB3.0 Hub
/0/100/14.2 generic Sunrise Point-LP Thermal subsystem
/0/100/17 storage Sunrise Point-LP SATA Controller [AHCI mode]
/0/100/1c bridge Sunrise Point-LP PCI Express Root Port #1
/0/100/1c.4 bridge Sunrise Point-LP PCI Express Root Port #5
/0/100/1c.4/0 generic RTL8411B PCI Express Card Reader
/0/100/1c.4/0.1 enp58s0f1 network RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
/0/100/1c.5 bridge Sunrise Point-LP PCI Express Root Port #6
/0/100/1c.5/0 wlp59s0 network Wireless 8265 / 8275
/0/100/1f bridge Intel(R) 100 Series Chipset Family LPC Controller/eSPI Controller
/0/100/1f.2 memory Memory controller
/0/100/1f.3 multimedia Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio
/0/100/1f.4 bus Sunrise Point-LP SMBus
/0/1 scsi2 storage
/0/1/0.0.0 /dev/sda disk 250GB WDC WDS250G1B0B-
/0/1/0.0.0/1 /dev/sda1 volume 229GiB EXT4 volume
/0/1/0.0.0/2 /dev/sda2 volume 299MiB Windows FAT volume
/0/1/0.0.0/3 /dev/sda3 volume 3672MiB Linux swap volume
/1 vnet1 network Ethernet interface
/2 virbr1-nic network Ethernet interface
/3 virbr0-nic network Ethernet interface
/4 virbr0 network Ethernet interface
/5 vnet0 network Ethernet interface
/6 virbr1 network Ethernet interface
Can you describe your graphics stack? Are you using modesetting? X or wayland?
Nothing out of the ordinary, standard Manjaro install running Gnome-Shell (3.28.3) on X (version 1.19.6).
The only thing out of the ordinary is this startup entry I have:
`xset dpms force off`
The reason being I use a displayport to 3xhdmi dongle, allowing me to connect 3 screens to my laptop. If I don't use this xset command my monitors are constantly randomly turning off and on.
Do you see this without your external displays connected? does it still reproduce with dpms returned to normal? I don't have a KBL, but I can't reproduce on SKL (running Arch) using Xorg with or without dpms. If you can see it still with just your laptop display and dpms I'll get ahold a KBL to reproduce
I'll get back to you this weekend, unfortunately I currently cannot afford to interrupt my work to debug this.
Oh, something I just thought about. A while ago I installed the gjs-fix-leaks package from AUR, which backports the fix for the well known gnome memory leak bug. It gave me similar issues to the ones described here and I uninstalled it. I just checked again and it turns out it is in fact installed. I am not sure how I installed it again, but there you have it; it's there. Fact remains that downgrading mesa appears to have fixed (or worked around) the issue.
I'll do some digging this weekend and will get back to you. Seems not unlikely that the issue is related to this AUR package, although that could just be indicative of an issue with the forthcoming fix in Gnome.
-- GitLab Migration Automatic Message --
This bug has been migrated to freedesktop.org's GitLab instance and has been closed from further activity.
You can subscribe and participate further through the new bug through this link to our GitLab instance: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/issues/1742.