[Imported here from our mailing list for future reference]
Reported by John Boncek:
I installed DejaVu Sans under MontaVista Linux / X Windows and got display
with way too much space between characters, like this,
c h a r a c t e r s s p a c e d o u t
in all text strings using both English (Latin) and Arabic characters.
Other fonts already on the system still look OK. This font looks this way
in the xfontsel utility as well as in application programs. I am new to
font installation so I suspect I neglected to run some configuration
utility or modify some configuration file that's needed. I used
ttmkfdir -o fonts.scale
as instructed in this system. Does the above appearance suggest what I am
missing? Thanks for your attention.
Created attachment 10704 [details]
Screenshot of spaces between characters
Cause of this bug:
ttmkfdir puts wrong data in the fonts.scale file. It makes the DejaVu fonts "character cell" fonts instead of normal "proportional" ones. This happens because of a dumb test in ttmkfdir.
How to solve this:
You have to manually override this in your fonts.scale file. The lines
DejaVuSans.ttf -misc-DejaVu Sans-medium-r-normal--0-0-0-0-c-0-iso8859-1
c here means character cell: ^^^
DejaVuSans.ttf -misc-DejaVu Sans-medium-r-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-1
with the p from proportional.
After this you have to run the
Mass move of freetype bugs to the new freetype product
Reopen the NOTOURBUG reports now they're correctly affected
Nicolas, this has nothing to do with freetype...