Hi, I've just started using PackageKit 0.6.3 and noticed that extra dependencies are not reported properly when I try to install something. I've tracked the problem down to pk_backend_get_depends setting the role to get-depends, which means that pk_backend_package doesn't convert available to installing when get_depends is called as a substitute for simulate_install_packages.
To fix, you could either remove the set_role calls from pk-backend.c (because PkTransaction sets them anyway), or change the role testing in pk_backend_package to get_depends or get_requires. I wasn't sure which one to do myself.
The reason the backend now set's it's own role is for threaded backends that need to know the backend-role when passed to a generic threading function. I didn't remember about the fallback code, as I agree the code is now broken.
Author: Richard Hughes <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Thu Apr 8 19:17:22 2010 +0100
Correctly fallback by checking the transaction role, not the backend role. Fixes fd#27527
Could you test git master please? Thanks.
I'm not seeing any updates at http://cgit.freedesktop.org/packagekit/
Is there somewhere else I should be looking?
Anyway, I went ahead and implemented SimulateInstallPackages properly, so I'm not affected by it anymore. I'll still test your changes if you want, but feel free to mark this fixed.
Sorry, I forgot to push the branch. It should be there now. We use a development server and then push to public anon-git every few days. If you're developing a backend I should really give you access to the development machine (and commit access); yell if this is what you want.
Ok, no worries. I'll test it when I get the chance. I'm not sure my backend is quite ready yet, but I'll let you know when it is.
It's a replacement for the alpm backend, but I'm not sure whether to keep that around or not, as mine has an additional dependency (on my own wrapper library). I had been in contact with the developer, but haven't heard from him in a while.
If you want to review it, there's a patch for PackageKit here: http://github.com/PirateJonno/pacman-glib/blob/master/pk-backend/packagekit/pacman-glib.patch
I imagine it will be ready to commit in a couple of weeks.