Bug 30404 - Updated Greek Polytonic keyboard layout
Summary: Updated Greek Polytonic keyboard layout
Status: RESOLVED MOVED
Alias: None
Product: xkeyboard-config
Classification: Unclassified
Component: General (show other bugs)
Version: unspecified
Hardware: All Linux (All)
: medium enhancement
Assignee: xkb
QA Contact:
URL:
Whiteboard:
Keywords:
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2010-09-27 11:26 UTC by Nikos Theodorou
Modified: 2018-12-28 00:34 UTC (History)
0 users

See Also:
i915 platform:
i915 features:


Attachments
Diff file for the Greek keyboard layout. (12.71 KB, patch)
2010-09-27 11:26 UTC, Nikos Theodorou
Details | Splinter Review

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Nikos Theodorou 2010-09-27 11:26:04 UTC
Created attachment 38986 [details] [review]
Diff file for the Greek keyboard layout.

Hallo.

With Simos Xenitelis' aid, I have improved the Greek Polytonic layout a bit, adding the symbols available in the Extended layout. Shortly, what I did was copy the extra symbols from Simple to Polytonic, move the symbols in Extended to Polytonic and remove Extended, thinking it no longer useful.

Hence, in addition to Simos' description in https://docs.google.com/View?docID=dccdrjqk_4cqjn9zcj we also have:

AltGr + / = ϙ, AltGr + ? = Ϙ,
AltGr + 7 = ϰ, AltGr + & = Ϗ,
AltGr + [ = [, AltGr + { = {,
AltGr + ] = ], AltGr + } = }.

There is one problem, however: I tried to put en-dash and em-dash over |\ (that is, AltGr + | = –  and AltGr + \ = —, line 177 of the enclosed diff file) but for some reason I cannot understand, it doesn't work. Simos said perhaps you can look at it.

The discussion (in Greek) can be found at http://simos.info/blog/archives/888/comment-page-1

I am enclosing the diff file, gr.diff.

Nikos
Comment 1 Simos Xenitellis 2010-09-28 08:29:12 UTC
Thanks Nikos for the patch.

I notice that you made some extra changes. The 'extended' variant was removed, with the ASCII keyboard in the comment. It is easier to add patches for small changes at a time so that they are easy to identify in the version control system.

Could you please produce a new patch that keeps the extended variant? There are people using it. Also, if adding/removing layouts, we need to change some other files as well.

Indeed, there is duplication between 'basic' and 'polytonic' which could be resolved if we create a new 'hidden' variant with the common lines.

Therefore, pending the approval from Sergey,
a. You can create a new variant, let's say, 'bare_archaic' with those lines for archaic, etc characters, which are common to both 'basic' and (now) 'polytonic'.
Then, include 'bare_archaic' in both 'basic' and 'polytonic'. Finally, produce a patch that shows 'bare_archaic', the inclusion of 'bare_archaic', and the changes to 'polytonic'.
b. Or else make the changes in 'polytonic' without affecting the functionality of 'extended'.
Comment 2 Nikos Theodorou 2010-09-28 09:57:35 UTC
Yes, I can see your point Simos. I must admit I made simple copy/paste changes in order to suit my personal needs, working a bit blindly on the way.

However, creating a new (even more, a secret one!) variant is out of my knowledge of these things, though definitely a cleaner solution as there are, indeed, a lot of overlapping characters. What I can do is restore the Extended variant and the ASCII keyboard in the comment should you wish, but that's all I'm afraid.

(In reply to comment #1)
Comment 3 Simos Xenitellis 2010-09-28 10:33:41 UTC
(In reply to comment #2)
> Yes, I can see your point Simos. I must admit I made simple copy/paste changes
> in order to suit my personal needs, working a bit blindly on the way.
> 
> However, creating a new (even more, a secret one!) variant is out of my
> knowledge of these things, though definitely a cleaner solution as there are,
> indeed, a lot of overlapping characters. What I can do is restore the Extended
> variant and the ASCII keyboard in the comment should you wish, but that's all
> I'm afraid.
> 
> (In reply to comment #1)

To create a new variant, you simply append the following

hidden partial alphanumeric_keys alternate_group
xkb_symbols "bare_extended" {

    key <AC05> { [ NoSymbol,       NoSymbol,          U03DD,          U03DC ] };//ϝϜ
    key <AC07> { [ NoSymbol,       NoSymbol,          U037C,          U03FE ] };//ͼϾ
    key <AC08> { [ NoSymbol,       NoSymbol,          U03DF,          U03DE ] };//ϟϞ
    key <AC09> { [ NoSymbol,       NoSymbol,          U03F2,          U03F9 ] };//ϲϹ
};

I show four lines, though there are more that are common and should be put in "bare_extended".

Then, for both 'basic' and 'polytonic' you include this 'bare_extended' variant, with

include "gr(bare_extended)"

That's it!
Comment 4 Mark Bylander 2016-05-10 16:31:06 UTC
Simos's additions seem to be added to the current version of X.org (Fedora 23 lists libxkb-file-1.0.9-2), but with a small error that makes them invisible:

Line 148 of /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/gr should read 

include "gr(basic)" 

After making this change, I can access the additional characters.
Comment 5 GitLab Migration User 2018-12-28 00:34:24 UTC
-- GitLab Migration Automatic Message --

This bug has been migrated to freedesktop.org's GitLab instance and has been closed from further activity.

You can subscribe and participate further through the new bug through this link to our GitLab instance: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xkeyboard-config/xkeyboard-config/issues/24.


Use of freedesktop.org services, including Bugzilla, is subject to our Code of Conduct. How we collect and use information is described in our Privacy Policy.