Description of problem:
'radeon' driver gets kernel panic at boot.
With AGP Radeon cards on Intel i845 motherboard
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Get Intel i845 motherboard
2. Get ATI Radeon HD 3650 AGP (512MB memory, 64bit bus)
3. Try to boot OpenSuse 11.3
4. kernel panic on boot stage
using nomodeset option allows to boot , but driver changes from radeon to
radeonhd. If 'radeonhd' not present in the distribution (for example , Fedora 14), then I see totally black screen with movable mouse cursor. VESA driver works nice.
1. Motherboard: Intel 845D(has on board AC'97 sound, but this sound is disabled in BIOS currently)
2. CPU:Intel Celeron 1.7 GHz
3. Main memory: 1,5 GB DDR 266MHz
4. Video card: PowerColor ATI Radeon HD 3650 AGP (512 MB, 64 bit)
5. Sound card: CMI8738
6. Hard drive1: SATAII Western Digital 500GB 32MB cache(connected to IDE slot on motherboard through SATAII-IDE converter. This converter is separate module inserted into IDE slot on motherboard)
7. Hard drive2: IDE Seagate 40 GB
8. DVD-RW: IDE LG DVD-RW device(without converter)
9. Network card: D-Link DFE-520TX 10&100Mbps Fast Ethernet PCI Adapter
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82845 845 [Brookdale] Chipset Host Bridge (rev 04)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82845 845 [Brookdale] Chipset AGP Bridge (rev 04)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev 05)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801BA ISA Bridge (LPC) (rev 05)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801BA IDE U100 Controller (rev 05)
00:1f.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801BA/BAM USB Controller #1 (rev 05)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801BA/BAM SMBus Controller (rev 05)
00:1f.4 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801BA/BAM USB Controller #1 (rev 05)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Mobility Radeon HD 3600 Series
02:0c.0 Multimedia audio controller: C-Media Electronics Inc CM8738 (rev 10)
02:0f.0 Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6105/VT6106S [Rhine-III] (rev 8b)
#01:00.0 VGA compatible controller : ATI Technologies Inc Mobility Radeon HD 3600 Series [1002:9598]
# Subsystem: ATI Technologies Inc Mobility Radeon HD 3600 [1002:9598]
Photo session of OpenSuse 11.3 kernel panic when trying to boot with 'radeon'.
Does booting with radeon.agpmode=-1 on the kernel command line in grub help?
(In reply to comment #1)
> Does booting with radeon.agpmode=-1 on the kernel command line in grub help?
Yes, it helps.
(In reply to comment #2)
> (In reply to comment #1)
> > Does booting with radeon.agpmode=-1 on the kernel command line in grub help?
> Yes, it helps.
Looks like a problem with agp on your system then. Make sure the appropriate agp modules are loaded prior to loading the radeon driver.
> Make sure the appropriate agp modules are loaded prior to loading the radeon driver.
How can I do this?
(In reply to comment #4)
> > Make sure the appropriate agp modules are loaded prior to loading the radeon driver.
> How can I do this?
Compile them into your kernel or manually load the appropriate agp modules before loading radeon.
Do you still have this issue if you properly load appropriate agp driver ?
I just don't know how to load AGP module properly, so I can't say is it solvable or not...
-- GitLab Migration Automatic Message --
This bug has been migrated to freedesktop.org's GitLab instance and has been closed from further activity.
You can subscribe and participate further through the new bug through this link to our GitLab instance: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-ati/issues/17.