Bug 39145 - screen goes dark when the graphics driver (radeon) is loaded
Summary: screen goes dark when the graphics driver (radeon) is loaded
Status: RESOLVED FIXED
Alias: None
Product: DRI
Classification: Unclassified
Component: DRM/Radeon (show other bugs)
Version: XOrg git
Hardware: x86 (IA32) Linux (All)
: medium critical
Assignee: Default DRI bug account
QA Contact:
URL:
Whiteboard:
Keywords:
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2011-07-11 09:27 UTC by mikhail.v.gavrilov
Modified: 2011-10-17 06:42 UTC (History)
1 user (show)

See Also:
i915 platform:
i915 features:


Attachments
kernel log file (148.03 KB, patch)
2011-07-11 09:27 UTC, mikhail.v.gavrilov
no flags Details | Splinter Review

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description mikhail.v.gavrilov 2011-07-11 09:27:53 UTC
Created attachment 48979 [details] [review]
kernel log file

This issue ocurred when I updated kernel version 2.6.38-2-686-pae to 2.6.39-2-686-pae version.
- The GPU's device ID: 1002:9712 (M880G, Mobility Radeon HD 4200)
- The model name: Acer Aspire One 521
- I am using Debian testing (wheezy) x86 
- Also system couldn't enter in single mode, because screen goes dark again.

I attach link to youtube video that's demonstrates symptoms of this issue.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtxRLEtHu5w

Messages log attached to this report.
Comment 1 Alex Deucher 2011-07-11 09:45:08 UTC
Can you bisect?
Comment 2 Jonathan Nieder 2011-08-05 10:19:10 UTC
Hi Mikhail,

(In reply to comment #0)

> This issue ocurred when I updated kernel version 2.6.38-2-686-pae to
> 2.6.39-2-686-pae version.
> - The GPU's device ID: 1002:9712 (M880G, Mobility Radeon HD 4200)
> - The model name: Acer Aspire One 521
> - I am using Debian testing (wheezy) x86 
> - Also system couldn't enter in single mode, because screen goes dark again.
>
> I attach link to youtube video that's demonstrates symptoms of this issue.
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtxRLEtHu5w
>
> Messages log attached to this report.

Thanks.  If you have time, could you bisect to find the change that introduced this bug?

It works like this:

0. Write a script named "as" with the following content and put it in
your $PATH to work around <http://bugs.debian.org/620448>.

	#!/bin/sh
	exec /usr/bin/as --size-check=warning "$@"

1. Grab the latest mainline source:

 # apt-get install git build-essential
 $ git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git
 $ cd linux

2. Minimal configuration.

 $ make localmodconfig

3. Test.

 $ make deb-pkg
 # dpkg -i ../<name of .deb>
 # reboot

4. If it works, let us know and declare victory. Otherwise:

 $ git bisect start v2.6.39 v2.6.38 -- drivers/gpu

Git will check out a version half-way between to test.

 $ make silentoldconfig; # reuse configuration
 $ make deb-pkg
 # dpkg -i ../<name of .deb>
 # reboot
 $ cd ~/src/linux
 $ git bisect good; # if it works
 $ git bisect bad; # if it fails in the same way
 $ git bisect skip; # if some other bug makes it hard to test

5. Git will check out a next version to check; repeat step 4 until
it gives the "first bad commit" or you get bored.  If you finish
early, you can send the output of "git bisect log" to let us know
the information acquired so far.

If gitk is installed, at any step you can run "git bisect visualize"
to see the regression range narrowing.

Hope that helps.
Comment 3 mikhail.v.gavrilov 2011-08-05 11:10:32 UTC
Hi Jonathan,
I am ready follow instruction, but how do it on machine wich unbootable?
Thanks.

> Thanks.  If you have time, could you bisect to find the change that introduced
> this bug?
>
...
Comment 4 Jonathan Nieder 2011-08-14 19:13:05 UTC
Sorry I missed your message before.  Do you mean that you don't have a working kernel installed in addition to the broken one?
Comment 5 mikhail.v.gavrilov 2011-08-25 10:49:18 UTC
> --- Comment #4 from Jonathan Nieder <jrnieder@gmail.com> 2011-08-14 19:13:05 PDT ---
> Sorry I missed your message before.  Do you mean that you don't have a working
> kernel installed in addition to the broken one?

After this when my system has broken with updated kernel I decide
reinstall system. Now I have system only with new unworkable kernel.
Also I try new debian wich build at 22-Aug-2011 with kernel
3.0.0-1-686-pae. Problem not fixed yet.
Comment 6 Jonathan Nieder 2011-08-25 10:59:49 UTC
bugzilla-daemon@freedesktop.org wrote:

> After this when my system has broken with updated kernel I decide
> reinstall system. Now I have system only with new unworkable kernel.
> Also I try new debian wich build at 22-Aug-2011 with kernel
> 3.0.0-1-686-pae. Problem not fixed yet.

It would _really_ help to have a working system.  Could you try
installing Debian squeeze and then just upgrading the kernel?

Alternatively, it might be possible to do experiments using a live
CD[*], but I don't know how to swap out the kernel there.

[*] http://www.debian.org/CD/live/
Comment 7 mikhail.v.gavrilov 2011-10-16 16:03:40 UTC
> 1. Grab the latest mainline source:
>
>  # apt-get install git build-essential
>  $ git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git
>  $ cd linux
>
> 2. Minimal configuration.
>
>  $ make localmodconfig
>
> 3. Test.
>
>  $ make deb-pkg
>  # dpkg -i ../<name of .deb>
>  # reboot
>
> 4. If it works, let us know and declare victory. Otherwise:

Debian 6.0.3 (squeeze) can boot without described issue with linux
kernel 3.1.0-rc9+ but without usb and network support :(
How enabling usb and network support???
Comment 8 Jonathan Nieder 2011-10-16 16:52:35 UTC
bugzilla-daemon@freedesktop.org wrote:

> Debian 6.0.3 (squeeze) can boot without described issue with linux
> kernel 3.1.0-rc9+ but without usb and network support :(
> How enabling usb and network support???

Thanks for testing; that's good news.  You can configure the choice of
drivers for a linux build with "make nconfig".

Administrivia:

 - can you reproduce the bug with a 2.6.39 kernel on squeeze?
   If not, that would mean there is some complicating factor other
   than the kernel.

 - does a distro 3.x kernel[1] also avoid the bug?  If not, please
   attach the .config file from the 3.1.0-rc9+ build you tested with.

[1] e.g. from <http://wiki.debian.org/DebianExperimental>.  It would
include usb and networking support. :)
Comment 9 mikhail.v.gavrilov 2011-10-17 06:41:06 UTC
>
> Thanks for testing; that's good news.  You can configure the choice of
> drivers for a linux build with "make nconfig".
>
> Administrivia:
>
>  - can you reproduce the bug with a 2.6.39 kernel on squeeze?
>   If not, that would mean there is some complicating factor other
>   than the kernel.
>
>  - does a distro 3.x kernel[1] also avoid the bug?  If not, please
>   attach the .config file from the 3.1.0-rc9+ build you tested with.
>
> [1] e.g. from <http://wiki.debian.org/DebianExperimental>.  It would
> include usb and networking support. :)
>

I has downloaded from this location
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.39.4.tar.bz2
linux kernel compiled and works fine! Also without issue with screen
and with usb and network support.

Seems this is not problem in kernel.


Use of freedesktop.org services, including Bugzilla, is subject to our Code of Conduct. How we collect and use information is described in our Privacy Policy.