Bugzilla – Bug 49173
Use XDG base directory instead of $HOME
Last modified: 2013-01-05 20:53:25 UTC
Currently .ICEauthority is stored in the user's home directory. It would be nice to use the XDG Base Directory standard for the location instead. http://standards.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-latest.html
What is planned about FreeDesktop.org XDG base directory specification for libice/x.org
According to XDG Basedir spec, ~/.ICEauthority should be moved to $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/subdir/ICEauthority
More details at :
Full specification can be found at:
The Freedesktop.org XDG base directory specification that have good de facto adoption.
It has been adopted by
- GNOME ( https://live.gnome.org/GnomeGoals/XDGConfigFolders )
- GTK+ ( https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=646631 )
- KDE ( http://techbase.kde.org/KDE_System_Administration/XDG_Filesystem_Hierarchy#Freedesktop.org_and_Standard_Directories )
- QT ( http://harmattan-dev.nokia.com/docs/library/html/qt4/qsettings.html#setPath )
- XFCE ( http://docs.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-session/advanced in Files and Environment Variables )
- VLC ( https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/1267 )
- GStreamer ( https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=518597 )
- Chrome ( http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=16976 )
- many more upstream applications
- Ubuntu ( http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/6557/ & http://packages.ubuntu.com/fr/source/precise/libxdg-basedir )
- Debian ( http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/libxdg-basedir1 )
- many more distributions
I think that libICE/X.org should use same locations than the vast majority of Desktop environment and applications.
There are real advantages of following this specification :
- a lot less cluttered $HOME
- Make backups a lot more safer and easier.
Backuping your $XDG_DATA_HOME along with your files is enough
(or just excluding $XDG_CACHE_HOME)
- A lot easier to reset a default configuration if you want/need it (and
without any risk to loose informations). Even for the software itself
could choose to reset $XDG_CONFIG_HOME if needed.
- Avoid some strange bugs that happens because you had a old version of
some configuration file
- A lot more of flexibility and portability because no path are hardcoded.
(In reply to comment #3)
> What is planned about FreeDesktop.org XDG base directory specification for
There are no plans. No one has actively worked on or made plans for enhancing
libICE in years. Change would have to come from people working on designs,
bringing them to the xorg-devel mailing list, and once agreed upon, submitting
patches to implement them. Simply making long bug reports about why someone
else should do it results in no one ever doing it.