Compiling the modular X with "configure --datadir=/usr/share ..." the manual
pages are installed under the
Previously they were installed to .../man/man1 and .../man/man3, having an
extension 1x or 3x.
I guess the old behavior should be reverted, since manpage viewer applications
might not search the "man1x", "man3x" directories, e.g. man-1.6a from
http://primates.ximian.com/~flucifredi/man/ definitely does not find for
example /usr/share/man/man1x/luit.1x when I type "man luit", it only finds it
if I move it back to /usr/share/man/man1/luit.1x . And there are plenty of
other man page viewers out there...
Taking a look at e.g. luit's source, configure defines APP_MAN_SUFFIX to be 1x
on Linux system, and Makefile.in says appmandir = $(mandir)/man$(APP_MAN_SUFFIX)
I guess it's a wrong assumption that the directory name should be the same
as the file's extension. I'd rather see APP_MAN_SUFFIX to be hard-coded 1 on
all platforms, and a special OS_MAN_EXT or whatever variable whose value is "x"
on Linux systems, and these two properly concatenated where needed.
The Imake configurations in the old Xorg monolith used man<suffix> directories
for man pages ending in <suffix>, except apparently for sections 1, 4, & 7 on
Linux (and a few others on some other OS'es), an exception I overlooked when
doing the man page conversion.
I think I've got this fixed - will commit soon.
Fixed in CVS head (you'll need to re-autoconf with the new xorg-macros.m4 though
if you're building from CVS).