When DRI is enabled, about 1 time out of 10 my laptop's display dies when coming
out of S3 (suspend-to-RAM). The symptoms are:
- Instead of the normal X display coming back, only the mouse pointer appears
- X dies, reporting "Fatal server error: lockup"
- The display is totally unusable. Console doesn't work, X doesn't work,
"vbetool post" doesn't work, the only thing left is a reboot
This is using X.org 6.9RC3 on an IBM thinkpad X40 with an i855 integrated
graphics card, but it also happened on a Dell latitude D400 with an i855.
0000:00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82852/855GM Integrated
Graphics Device (rev 02)
Created attachment 4040 [details]
Created attachment 4041 [details]
Log file of crash
For what it's worth, my suspend-to-ram script does:
vbetool vbestate save > /tmp/vbe
echo mem > /sys/power/state
vbetool vbestate restore < /tmp/vbe
Note that if DRI is disabled with:
Option "DRI" "off"
this does not occur and resume works fine 100% of the time.
CC'ing alan as suggested by Dave Airlie
- When the lockups happen on resume, |outring| is not aligned on a QWord
boundary. This is strange because outring is only ever incremented by 4
in the code. Perhaps it's not initialized during resume?
- Perhaps what happens is that if we suspend when the ring buffer is full,
it stays full on resume and "gets stuck"?
You might want to try the latest CVS of X.Org, and get the latest DRM too.
Try without vbetool. Users have reported to me that when they've disabled it, it
Did removing vbetool fix it ?
It seems to work most of the time now. Sometimes it gets stuck, but only rarely.
Resolving as WORKSFORME.
on Jan 21, 2017 at 23:45:48.
(provided by the Example extension).