Bug 57562 - Weston, when idle, emits a wakeup about every minute
Summary: Weston, when idle, emits a wakeup about every minute
Status: VERIFIED NOTABUG
Alias: None
Product: Wayland
Classification: Unclassified
Component: weston (show other bugs)
Version: unspecified
Hardware: All Linux (All)
: medium normal
Assignee: Wayland bug list
QA Contact:
URL:
Whiteboard:
Keywords:
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2012-11-26 16:41 UTC by Joe Konno
Modified: 2012-11-26 23:54 UTC (History)
3 users (show)

See Also:
i915 platform:
i915 features:


Attachments
Have desktop-shell parse config file earlier (1.43 KB, text/plain)
2012-11-26 21:07 UTC, Joe Konno
Details
Introduce "clock" desktop-shell option (2.49 KB, patch)
2012-11-26 21:08 UTC, Joe Konno
Details | Splinter Review
Have desktop-shell parse config file earlier (1.43 KB, patch)
2012-11-26 21:09 UTC, Joe Konno
Details | Splinter Review

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Joe Konno 2012-11-26 16:41:42 UTC
Running Weston-DRM and letting it idle, PowerTop is showing the weston and desktop-shell processes issuing a wakeup about every minute.

To clarify, by "idle" I mean that no input events are generated and no applications are running. Only minimal runlevel 3 daemons, Weston, and sshd. I'm using the weston.ini under source control, but with `background-image` commented out.

Weston and Wayland code are from tag `1.0.1`.
Comment 1 Joe Konno 2012-11-26 16:53:57 UTC
Here's what I ran:

  weston -i0 &
  sudo powertop --html=weston.html --time=300 --iteration=3

Processes were emitting wakeups regularly each iteration. Time units are seconds, so three five-minute samples.
Comment 2 Kristian Høgsberg 2012-11-26 16:58:51 UTC
Oh, that must be the clock in the panel...

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 11:53 AM,  <bugzilla-daemon@freedesktop.org> wrote:
> Comment # 1 on bug 57562 from Joe Konno
>
> Here's what I ran:
>
>   weston -i0 &
>   sudo powertop --html=weston.html --time=300 --iteration=3
>
> Processes were emitting wakeups regularly each iteration. Time units are
> seconds, so three five-minute samples.
>
> ________________________________
> You are receiving this mail because:
>
> You are on the CC list for the bug.
Comment 3 Joe Konno 2012-11-26 21:07:29 UTC
Created attachment 70618 [details]
Have desktop-shell parse config file earlier
Comment 4 Joe Konno 2012-11-26 21:08:15 UTC
Created attachment 70621 [details] [review]
Introduce "clock" desktop-shell option
Comment 5 Joe Konno 2012-11-26 21:09:39 UTC
Created attachment 70622 [details] [review]
Have desktop-shell parse config file earlier
Comment 6 Joe Konno 2012-11-26 21:49:27 UTC
Applying the attached patches and then toggling the panel clock "off" proves your statement. No clock, no wakeups. ^_^

krh, you have any interest in adding a panel_clock option like I've attached? It would certainly make my life easier. Otherwise, I'll go on and close.

(In reply to comment #2)
> Oh, that must be the clock in the panel...
> 
> On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 11:53 AM,  <bugzilla-daemon@freedesktop.org> wrote:
> > Comment # 1 on bug 57562 from Joe Konno
> >
> > Here's what I ran:
> >
> >   weston -i0 &
> >   sudo powertop --html=weston.html --time=300 --iteration=3
> >
> > Processes were emitting wakeups regularly each iteration. Time units are
> > seconds, so three five-minute samples.
> >
> > ________________________________
> > You are receiving this mail because:
> >
> > You are on the CC list for the bug.
Comment 7 Kristian Høgsberg 2012-11-26 21:55:45 UTC
We've had requests for seconds in the clock before so maybe we could
make it an enum:

clock=[none/seconds/minutes]

or perhaps even a format string we pass to strftime(3) and special case 'none'.

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 4:49 PM,  <bugzilla-daemon@freedesktop.org> wrote:
> Comment # 6 on bug 57562 from Joe Konno
>
> Applying the attached patches and then toggling the panel clock "off" proves
> your statement. No clock, no wakeups. ^_^
>
> krh, you have any interest in adding a panel_clock option like I've
> attached?
> It would certainly make my life easier. Otherwise, I'll go on and close.
>
> (In reply to comment #2)
>> Oh, that must be the clock in the panel...
>>
>> On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 11:53 AM,  <bugzilla-daemon@freedesktop.org>
>> wrote:
>> > Comment # 1 on bug 57562 from Joe Konno
>> >
>> > Here's what I ran:
>> >
>> >   weston -i0 &
>> >   sudo powertop --html=weston.html --time=300 --iteration=3
>> >
>> > Processes were emitting wakeups regularly each iteration. Time units are
>> > seconds, so three five-minute samples.
>> >
>> > ________________________________
>> > You are receiving this mail because:
>> >
>> > You are on the CC list for the bug.
>
> ________________________________
> You are receiving this mail because:
>
> You are the assignee for the bug.
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wayland-bugs mailing list
> Wayland-bugs@lists.freedesktop.org
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/wayland-bugs
>
Comment 8 Joe Konno 2012-11-26 23:47:33 UTC
Okay, since we're going down the "let's enhance the panel clock" road, I'll go ahead and close this, since I can now justify the wakeups.

"Notabug" because the interrupts were being emitted due the redraw calls made by the panel clock. This is not errant behavior.


Use of freedesktop.org services, including Bugzilla, is subject to our Code of Conduct. How we collect and use information is described in our Privacy Policy.