For many years im using ubuntu (since nouveau becomes the default nvidia driver) and never have problem with the yuy2 scalemode mame option, so i think there's a regression with nouveau version in ubuntu 13.10.
I cant get video when open mame with "-video soft -sm yuy2" options using the nouveau driver. The game runs with sound, but in full black screen.
Using "-video soft -sm none" the game runs with video, the problem is with yuy2 scalemode.
Tested with Ubuntu 13.10 (kernels 3.11 and 3.12 from ubuntu repos.), mame .151 and .152, nouveau driver.
To reproduce (dont need any rom): execute the mame (mamedev.org) with the command line "./mame -video soft -sm yuy2" and mame will open totally in black screen. With the command "./mame -video soft -sm none" will open normally (in this case with a red bar warning about no roms).
Created attachment 91573 [details]
kernel_log.txt, Xorg.0.log, lsmod.txt
Well, something weird is definitely going on. I'm on a NV98 (which should be quite similar to your NV86 in that regard), Xorg 1.4.13, xf86-video-nouveau 1.0.10, and ~3.13-rc7+ as far as the nouveau drm is concerned. Running
sdlmame -video soft -sm yuy2
shows the screen just fine. (games-emulation/sdlmame-0.148_p1-r1 from gentoo repo). I also grabbed the mame source from mamedev.org and built it, the resulting mame64 binary gave me similarly working results.
Do you know what mame does with the yuy2 thing? Is it trying to create an xvideo overlay? Something else?
Well, after some tests, some news.
What works (all 32 bits):
- hardware 1: Ubuntu 11.10 with nouveau (from ubuntu 11.10 repository) and geforce 8500GT Chipset: G86 (NV86) , Family : NV50
- hardware 1: Ubuntu 13.04 with nouveau (from ubuntu 13.04 repository) and geforce 8500GT Chipset: G86 (NV86) , Family : NV50
- hardware 2: Ubuntu 13.10 with i915 driver (netbook with onboard intel video)
- hardware 3: Ubuntu 13.10 with nouveau (from ubuntu 13.10 repository) and onboard geforce 6150SE nforce nv430 Chipset: C61 (NV4C) , Family : NV40
What dont works (32 bits):
- hardware 1: Ubuntu 13.10 with nouveau (from ubuntu 13.10 repository) and geforce 8500GT Chipset: G86 (NV86) , Family : NV50
So, the same hardware 1 works with ubuntu 13.04 + nouveau and old versions, but dont work with ubuntu 13.10 + nouveau. And the hardware 3 works with the same hd with ubuntu 13.10 + nouveau that dont work on hardware 1.
The only combination that dont work is the ubuntu 13.10 + nouveau with geforce 8500GT Chipset: G86 (NV86) , Family : NV50
> - hardware 1: Ubuntu 13.04 with nouveau (from ubuntu 13.04 repository) and
> geforce 8500GT Chipset: G86 (NV86) , Family : NV50
Sorry, this is wrong, actually the ubuntu 13.04 (and only the 13.04) is using the nvidia proprietary driver, not the nouveau.
One more test that works:
- hardware 1: Ubuntu 13.10 with nouveau (from ubuntu 13.10 repository) and offboard geforce 7200GS Chipset: G72 (NV46) , Family : NV40
The problem is only with geforce 8500GT Chipset: G86 (NV86) , Family : NV50
And this same board works fine in ubuntu 11.10 with kernel 3.0 and nouveau from 11.10 repos.
So there's some regression between kernel 3.0 and 3.11 (tested w/ 3.12 too) and/or nouveau versions between ubuntu 11.10 and ubuntu 13.10 with this specific geforce 8500GT Chipset: G86 (NV86) , Family : NV50 when try to work the YUV overlay scaling in mame
Do you still see this with a recent software stack?