I ran the table tests from MS font validator, and am attaching a tarball of the
generated XML reports. Also included is an XSLT (could be use with xsltproc)
that the tool gave me, which makes the logs render as HTML.
Some of the errors are not real errors, as the tool has been not been updated
for a while, so we should check the standards carefully before acting quickly.
But I believe many of the errors are critical in some scenarios. I think we
should even check Pass and Info lines, as they may say things that we did not
really intend them to say.
I guess separate bugs should be filled for each issue discovered from this. This
is mostly a dumping place for logs.
Created attachment 7864 [details]
font validator report for svn r1316
Created attachment 7900 [details]
The thorough test by MS font validator, based on revision r1329
This version also contains rendering tests done at several sizes, showing
problems in hinting etc.
Created attachment 8067 [details]
font validator report for r1384 (without thorough rasterization)
Created attachment 8641 [details]
(In reply to comment #0)
> Also included is an XSLT (could be use with xsltproc)
> that the tool gave me, which makes the logs render as HTML.
The XSLT is named in an xml-stylesheet processing instruction in each report XML, so many browsers should automatically format the XML file accordingly.
Unfortunately the original file heavily relies on disable-output-escaping, which is an optional XSLT feature and not supported by Mozilla as discussed in https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=98168
The attached file is a rewrite of the one bundled in attachment 8067 [details], and should work with many more browsers, including Mozilla Firefox.
I hope this will make your life a bit easier. I'll try contact the font validator people to get this included in the official release as well.
Created attachment 8680 [details]
font validator reports for r1575 in a 7zip archive.
Here's a set of reports for r1575 in a 7zip archive.
I think that Microsoft Font Validator warnings and errors must be treated with high priority.
Currently I detected big problems with current release in some applications.
Just an example:
* try to set DejaVu Sans Mono as terminal font in XP, you'll get the italic version instead of the normal one.
* try to write some text in Adobe Photoshop and you'll obtain a crash.
I think it's very important to start resolving the problems reported by the font validator because I expect this will solve lots of problems in other applications.