Bug 91376 - pk-gstreamer-install mistakenly attempts to install two versions of the same package
Summary: pk-gstreamer-install mistakenly attempts to install two versions of the same ...
Status: RESOLVED NOTABUG
Alias: None
Product: PackageKit
Classification: Unclassified
Component: General (show other bugs)
Version: unspecified
Hardware: x86-64 (AMD64) Linux (All)
: medium major
Assignee: Richard Hughes
QA Contact:
URL:
Whiteboard:
Keywords:
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2015-07-17 17:40 UTC by Sven Slootweg
Modified: 2018-08-21 15:52 UTC (History)
0 users

See Also:
i915 platform:
i915 features:


Attachments

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Sven Slootweg 2015-07-17 17:40:53 UTC
Distribution: openSUSE 13.1, XFCE, a number of different repositories enabled that offer multimedia codecs.

Steps to reproduce (on my system, probably dependent on packages installed):

1. Attempt to open a .wmv file in Totem
2. Get "Missing codecs" popup (provided by pk-gstreamer-install, symlinked from gst-install-plugins-helper)
3. Pick "Search", wait
4. Get list of installable packages (detailed below)
5. Click "Install", wait
6. Installation aborts after dependency resolution

Reproducing from terminal: /usr/lib/gst-install-plugins-helper --transient-for=33554449 'gstreamer|1.0|totem|Windows Media Video 9 decoder|decoder-video/x-wmv, wmvversion=(int)3, format=(string)WMV3' 'gstreamer|1.0|totem|Windows Media Audio 8 decoder|decoder-audio/x-wma, wmaversion=(int)2, bitrate=(int)128016'

Error in dialog: "Failed to install software; A package could not be found that allows the action to complete. More information is available in the detailed report."

Error in terminal: ** Message: PackageKit: Did not install codec: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.PackageKit.Modify.depResolutionFailed: cannot install both gstreamer-plugins-bad-1.4.5-80.32.x86_64 and gstreamer-plugins-bad-1.4.5-83.30.x86_64

List of installable codecs:

1. gstreamer-plugins-bad-1.4.5-83.30 (64-bit)
2. gstreamer-plugins-libav-1.4.5-1.2 (64-bit)
3. gstreamer-plugins-bad-1.4.5-80.32 (64-bit)
4. gstreamer-plugins-libav-1.4.5-1.2 (64-bit)

There's an obvious conflict between number 1 and number 3. I suspect this is caused by attempting to find WMV and WMA codecs separately.

I have no idea where this tool gets its data, but surely it should understand that installing two different versions of the same package (possibly from different vendors) isn't going to work, and that it needs to find a package that can satisfy both?

I have rated this 'major' as it is making it impossible for me to open WMV files. I have attempted manually installing what seemed like the right packages, to no avail - and I evidently can't rely on pk-gstreamer-install to resolve the situation for me.
Comment 1 Richard Hughes 2018-08-21 15:52:43 UTC
We moved the upstream bugtracker to GitHub a long time ago. If this issue still affects you please re-create the issue here: https://github.com/hughsie/PackageKit/issues
 
Sorry for the impersonal message, and fingers crossed your issue no longer happens. Thanks.


Use of freedesktop.org services, including Bugzilla, is subject to our Code of Conduct. How we collect and use information is described in our Privacy Policy.