How to reproduce bug:
* Start with 2.7.8 installed
* Run XQuartz, XQuartz notifies you of available upgrade to 2.7.9_beta1
* Accept update. Files download. Button says "Install and relaunch XQuartz"
* Press "Install and relaunch XQuartz" button. Installer runs. After a minute or so, UI says "Running Scripts" and "Less than 1 minute left" (wording approximate, from memory)
* Scripts run for less than 1 minute, then dialogue appears saying installation is complete
* Scripts run for several minutes, much more than 1, less than 20. I had enough time to get worried the installer had hung, and to do a ps -xe, and to create a bugs.macosforge.org account
* Then I observed a dialogue saying installation is complete
Here's the processes running:
% ps -xe | grep -i install
10983 ?? 12:55.57 /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/PackageKit.framework/Resources/installd
71292 ?? 0:00.03 /usr/bin/open -W -n -b com.apple.installer /Users/jdlh/Library/Application Support/X11/.Sparkle/X11 2.7.90/XQuartz.pkg
71293 ?? 0:11.91 /System/Library/CoreServices/Installer.app/Contents/MacOS/Installer
71367 ?? 0:00.04 /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Resources/runner
71371 ?? 0:00.01 /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/PackageKit.framework/Resources/install_monitor -t /private/var/run/installd.commit.pid
71378 ?? 0:00.01 /bin/sh /tmp/PKInstallSandbox.0qc3l9/Scripts/org.macosforge.xquartz.pkg.lfKCW7/postinstall /Users/jdlh/Library/Application Support/X11/.Sparkle/X11 2.7.90/XQuartz.pkg / / /
71544 ttys000 0:00.00 grep -i install
Yes, as mentioned in the announcement email, 2.7.9_beta1 and later betas will use ASan, so memory intensive operations (like font caching) will take longer than before. It took about 10 minutes on one of my systems. Just be patient.
Thank you for explaining the reason nstallation took so much time. In that case, I have three comments.
1. I didn't not receive an announcement email. I upgraded because XQuartz offered it when I started XQuartz. I wasn't looking to be experimental. Maybe the bug should be re-titled, "XQuartz beta1 offered to XQuartz users who didn't intend to be beta testers".
2. My previous XQuartz version was 2.7.8_rc1. This is not a release version. Maybe the upgrade feed for and _rc1 includes beta versions, where the upgrade feed for a shipping version would not? In that case, I'm surprised that XQuartz 2.7.8_rc1 never offered to upgrade me to 2.7.8 final. Maybe the bug title should be, "_rc1 version not offering upgrade when final version comes out".
3. The _beta1 installer sets expectations with a message "time remaining: less than 1 minute", then failed to meet those expectations. Was something going on like, the install script had a step that didn't have an expected run time, or didn't have a step for "font caching" that was labelled as such? In that case, maybe the bug should be re-titled "installer doesn't set correct expectations for lengthy install step".
Re 1: It was sent to x11-users and xquartz-dev.
Re 2: 2.7.8 is in the feed, and others got it just fine. You must've not checked for updates during the window between 2.7.8 being released and 2.7.9_beta1 being released. It is expected that the pre-release feed contains beta and rc builds and that the release feed only contains released builds. Installing a pre-release will put you on the pre-release feed.
Re 3: AFAIK, I have no control over the expected time that is reported.
Thank you. I appreciate your prompt and thoughtful replies. I also appreciate all the work you do in making this nice package of software that I can use.
Re 3 again: If you know of a way for me to adjust that expected time, please let me know. Right now, the package template is still hosted on macosforge's svn, but I hope to move it over to github sometime this week. Feel free to poke around in it and send me a pull request if you figure out a solution.