uchardet is an encoding detector (likely going to become a language detector as well).
Current repository is: https://github.com/BYVoid/uchardet/
I am the new maintainer and I have agreed with the previous maintainer that it could be worth hosting it in a more neutral place than a personal github account. Cf.: https://github.com/BYVoid/uchardet/issues/22#issuecomment-194234031
I started moving it to GNOME but I am still waiting to get a project in the bugzilla and after some thoughts, I think this is much more a FreeDesktop project, as a shared technology, not desktop specific.
- project name: uchardet
- who can approve new members: Jehan (me)
- git hosting: yes please.
- description (for git or bugzilla): uchardet is an encoding detector library, which takes a sequence of bytes in an unknown character encoding and attempts to determine the encoding of the text. Returned encoding names are iconv-compatible.
- bugzilla: yes, please.
- bugzilla components:
* General: anything which cannot be classified.
* Language/encoding: anything related to a specific language and/or encoding.
All default assignees are myself for now.
- mailing list: firstname.lastname@example.org
- file upload: yes for release tarballs.
- Website: can I have a website area? Nothing fancy, I just need a single text page (probably holding the text which is in the README right now).
this looks reasonable. Can you file a bug asking for an account as well (providing your SSH and GPG keys)?
Done in bug 96328!
(In reply to Jehan from comment #2)
> Done in bug 96328!
I created the account and the bugzilla product/components (I also added the referenced ML as a CC: for every bug).
Tollef, can you create the git project? I do not have the rights to do this.
I'll wait for the git repository. Ready to move the code. :-)
For the web page, you are using the wiki right?
So basically I would set up a page on https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/uchardet/ for instance?
Or is there something else?
If I have to set up a wiki page, how do I get an account? I can't find a page about this procedure.
Any news on this? :-)
My migration is ready to happen, at the tip of my finger as soon as I get a repository! ;-)
I've created the uchardet repo now, it should show up on cgit.freedesktop.org in a few minutes with URLs you can push to.
As for uploading releases, you can do that to annarchy:/srv/www.freedesktop.org/www/software/uchardet
Wiki access is documented on https://wiki.freedesktop.org/sitewranglers/wiki/401/