Created attachment 143078 [details]
glxinfo | grep strings
R9 285 (Tonga)
In game menus and other game play elements aren't rendered correctly by default:
There are no special steps required to replicate the issue.
Affects other Linux distributions and other cards:
A known workaround for the problem is to edit:
Changing the value of the following line to zero:
<value name="UsePBOSurfaces" type="integer">1</value>
There doesn't appear to be any downside to this.
Medieval 2 Total War doesn't appear to be affected on my setup.
Unable to test Shogun 2 or Fall of the Samurai as I don't have access to those.
Created attachment 143079 [details]
steam system info
Created attachment 143084 [details]
Created attachment 143085 [details]
Created attachment 143086 [details]
I've used apitrace (DEBUGGER="apitrace32 trace" steam steam://rungameid/10500) to capture some trace files.
I'm able to replay them using apitrace replay [file] so I hope others are too.
I've uploaded a 7z archive containing a "bugged" trace and a "workaround" trace with their corresponding terminal output:
By complete coincidence the archive happens to be 666MB.
The bugged trace is several gigabytes in size whilst the workaround is a mere 90MB so there must be something funny happening there...
One last comment before I leave it to the experts.
Another bug report with Unity 18.04:
If anyone wants to go above and beyond the call of duty then I've uploaded some traces for Medieval 2 here:
I've used the same trick of disabling/enabling PBO surfaces.
Finally what exactly are PBO surfaces? Do I need them? What's the penalty for not using them?
The game seems to trace faster with them off than on.
Are the Linux ports by Feral a bit wonky and/or prone to strange behaviour - or are they generally decent?
Created attachment 143088 [details]
As a last ditch effort I thought I'd try the latest mesa/llvm that are provided by [llvm-git] and [mesa-git] unofficial repo's.
Unfortunately the issue still occurs.
My system has changed somewhat since writing this bug report.
As all Feral games on STEAM officially support either STEAMOS or Ubuntu; I thought I'd check out xubuntu 18.04 LTS - specifically: https://pastebin.com/f8cTGLSY
The same glitch appears with the current Mesa drivers provided by the distribution (18.2.8)
But using oibaf's ppa:
Mesa related packages are updated to:
Mesa 19.1.0-devel (git-54522d0 2019-03-06 bionic-oibaf-ppa)
And I can no longer reproduce the issue! https://i.imgur.com/VhIylSp.jpg
As I've made no other changes other than switching Mesa packages I can only assume that this has been fixed by an update/commit recently.
Many thanks to everyone who works on Mesa.
In just a few years (since I last tried Debian) my R9 285 has gone from having no support whatever in Linux to being very capable indeed to the point where I no longer require Windows: https://imgur.com/a/keUM4VS https://imgur.com/a/awddkUg